The Houston Police Department is currently hiring for our upcoming 2023 academy classes, which are held approximately every three months. The application process takes approximately 90 to 180 days to complete and consists of six phases. Applicants will need to pass each phase of the application process in order to attend an academy class.
Out-of-Town Applicants Only - View Application Process for Out-of-Town Applicants
PHASE ONE - Prepare Application Packet and Schedule Initial Interview
The first step is to prepare the application packet, which consists of the Personal History Statement; City of Houston NeoGov Application, and items on the Required Documents Checklist. If qualifying based solely on the work experience requirement, you will also need to need to complete the Work Experience Form. Click on the links below:
- Required Documents Checklist
- Complete Personal History Statement
NOTE: In order to properly fill out, save and print the pdf form of this Personal History Statement, you MUST use Adobe Reader or Acrobat 8.0 or greater. You can download the latest Adobe Reader here.
- Complete City of Houston NeoGov Application
- Work Experience Form - Complete this form if you qualify based solely on the work experience requirement (i.e., you do not have 18 months active duty military service, 48 hours of college credit or 3 years employment as a peace officer). You will need to complete a Work Experience Form for each job you worked over the last 48 months. Once complete, use the form to obtain a letter from the employer verifying the information noted on the Work Experience Form. Please note, the bottom portion of the Work Experience Form explains the requirements of the employee verification letter. Ensure that the employee verification letter meets these requirements prior to scheduling an appointment.
Please close all windows, browsers, open tabs, etc. on your desktop or cell phone before submitting an interview request.
After completing the above steps, schedule an interview by clicking on the “Schedule An Interview” button below.
You will be contacted in approximately 4 days to schedule an interview.
Interviews are conducted by appointment only and take approximately 3 hours. Dress for the interview is business attire.
PHASE TWO - Reading Comprehension Test and Physical Agility Test
Once you have passed the initial interview, you will be scheduled to take a reading comprehension test and physical agility test. Phase Two will take approximately 4-5 hours and will be held at the Houston Police Department Training Academy. Upon completion of the reading comprehension and physical agility tests, you will then be sent for fingerprinting.
Physical Agility Test (PAT):
- 500 Meter row, 50th percentile (2:27 or less females/2:08 or less for males)
- 1 Mile Run, 11:40 minutes or less
We encourage you to physically prepare for the physical agility test prior to any attempt and recommend that you consult a physician prior to undertaking any rigorous training program. If you do not believe you are able to pass this test, you should not submit your application. To practice the physical agility test visit the Events page for information about the program “Run With Your Recruiter”.
PHASE THREE - Polygraph Exam and Post-Polygraph Interview
Once you have passed the physical agility test, you will be scheduled for a polygraph examination. Immediately following the polygraph, you will have a post-polygraph interview. Dress is business or business casual, no jeans. Phase Three will take approximately 4 hours.
PHASE FOUR - Background Investigation
An extensive background investigation will be conducted on your personal, family, financial, employment, credit, and residential histories.
PHASE FIVE - Psychological and Medical Exam
During Phase Five, you will be scheduled for a medical and a psychological examination. Please print-out the City of Houston Medical Questionnaire form and bring the form with you to your medical exam. It is important to report on time to these appointments. If you wear glasses or contacts, please make sure to bring them to your appointment. Please allow 7 hours for the medical examination and 4-5 hours for the psychological exam.
PHASE SIX - Final Review and Chief of Police Approval
Pending the successful completion of all the previous phases, your file will be reviewed through the chain of command (five levels) and then sent to the Chief of Police for final approval.