The Houston Police Department welcomes lateral officers and currently has a modified academy class scheduled for February 2021.
Lateral Entry Requirements
- In-state applicants MUST have been employed full-time for at least three years in the past four years as a peace officer licensed by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE).
- Out-of-state applicants MUST have been employed full-time for at least three years in the past four years as a peace officer licensed by an acceptable licensing entity in another state that has law enforcement officer licensing requirements substantially equivalent to those set forth by the State of Texas. Additionally, applicants MUST challenge TCOLE. Visit https://www.tcole.texas.gov/content/out-state-peace-officers for more information.
All applicants must obtain a peace officer license issued by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement prior to the start of the academy.
- Must be between the ages of 20 ½ - 44 years of age (applicants must be 21 prior to graduating the academy and must not turn 45 prior to graduating the academy).
- Must be a U.S. citizen, (born or naturalized).
- Must have a valid driver license and proof of liability insurance.
- Must have a stable employment and credit history.
- Must pass all phases of the application process.
Please visit our Requirements section for Common Disqualifiers.
Applicants will attend a modified academy class consisting of 9-10 weeks; and are on a probationary period for one year from academy start date. If you are unable to obtain your TCOLE license prior to the start of the academy, you may be eligible to attend our regular academy class.
While in the academy, cadets receive $1,615.38 bi-weekly. Upon graduating the academy, a lateral police officer’s salary (while on probation) can range from $2,405.26 up to $2,485.20 bi-weekly, dependent upon prior law enforcement service.
Educational Pay Incentive begins upon graduation from the academy:
- Bachelor’s Degree - $140 bi-weekly
- Master’s Degree - $240 bi-weekly
- Doctorate Degree - $340 bi-weekly
Please visit our Benefits section for additional Incentive Pay and benefits information.